The Future Combat Air System (FCAS), a collaborative project between Dassault and Airbus aims to redefine air combat capabilities in Europe, with a system of systems approach and a fleet of manned and unmanned systems to support the fighter aircraft and achieve air dominance. Ahead of International Fighter 2018, Defence IQ discussed with Bruno Fichefeux, Head of Future Combat Air Systems at Airbus Defence and Space. By reading this exclusive transcript of the conversation, learn more about:
- The vision of the project to operate in a post-2035 environment
- The project’s key landmarks
- The integration of the new system with existing fleets
- The importance of industry collaboration
Have an exclusive look at what to expect at this year’s International Fighter Conference.
This November, leading military air combat decision-makers and industry professionals will assemble at the annual International Fighter conference in London. Returning to chair the event is Lt Gen (Rtd) David Deptula, the US Air Force’s former Deputy Chief of Staff for Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR). Listed as one of the 100 most influential people in the defence world, General Deptula served more than 34 years of distinguished service, being the principal attack planner for Desert Storm (1991) and the Director of the Combined Air Operations Center for Operation Enduring Freedom (2001) to name just two of his most prominent assignments.
- Major General Alain Pelletier, Chief of Fighter Capability, RCAF and speaker at International Fighter 2018
- Brigadier General Petr Hromek, Deputy Commander, Czech AF (Now Major General Petr Hromek, Commander, Czech AF)
- Lt Gen (Retd) Klaus-Peter Stieglitz, Former Commander, German Air Force and speaker at International Fighter 2018
- Lt Gen Rubén C. Garcia Servert, Commander NATO CAOC Torrejon and speaker at International Fighter 2018
At the International Fighter conference, Air Vice Marshal Farooq Habib, Deputy Chief of Air Staff (Training) at the Pakistan Air Force, discussed the service's modernisation efforts and methods of improving the skills of its pilots. In this article, we take a deeper look at the performance of the PAC JF-17 Thunder, from engine and refueling developments to export rumours. ACR Mahmood Khalid, PAC Vice-Director, talks to Georg Mader for Defence Industry Bulletin.